Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Am a contradiction of sorts. i love going out and having a good time with friends, and i can also stay home chill out over a book or a movie.. Am very passionate about writing, so give me a topic and watch me float away into wonderland... I Am crazy about music,books,friends and my doggie... :)

Monday, July 23, 2018

On the plate at On the Rocks, Crowne Plaza hotel, Chennai


There are a few restaurants in the city that have me all excited from the minute I walk in till I get back home. One of them is On the Rocks at Crowne Plaza Chennai. We have been going to this hotel from my early days, family outings to Residency for their Sunday Brunch brings back quite a few memories. 

So having evolved from that, to now doing some fine dining at their other restaurants, it has been quite a journey. On the Rocks restaurant has now launched a new concept with their new menu - On the plate.. What does it mean? Well, for the non-veggies, it is about meat being sliced and served at the table [ they have a 3 meat or a 5 meat course option]. For us veggies, it means trying out new dishes... :-) 

I was there for dinner last friday, and the evening opened with their signature bread, which is served with garlic and a tomato relish. This is something we can dive into over and over, shamelessly asking for extra portions...  And then came my fancy drink called Kutla [a village in Himachal Pradesh], the drink came encased inside a dome that was filled with smoke. It was pineapple juice, dark rum, and some bitters with some rosemary infused in it. Oh and the drink had quite a lovely smokiness to it as well. My friend had a Pomegranate juice with Cinnamon & vodka, which was quite good as well, the vodka hits you at the back of your throat [it is an award winning drink from the restaurant]. 

As for the meal, I had Mushroom soup served with a crispy slice, Ravioli and Beetroot risotto. All three were amazing, packed with flavour, different textures and had me smiling.. For the Risotto the in house Wine Connoisseur- Krishnan recommended a Red wine [from Oregon]. He patiently answered my million questions on wine, and how it is paired with food, what works with what etc... 

He served me a glass of chilled White wine [Sula] which was slightly sweet and went well with the 1st dessert that was all about coconut and sour flavours. Subsequently for the Chocolate based dessert, he said I should do a red wine, but I had some left from my earlier glass, and promptly went on to finish it. The desserts looked like they were straight out of a Masterchef pressure test, so many different shapes, textures, and flavours.. Loved them both, felt like a child with a new toy, except here it was flavours playing games on my palate. 



 Kutla- pineapple juice, dark rum, and some bitters with some rosemary infused in it

Mushroom Soup


 Ravioli

Beetroot Risotto

 Dessert 1- Coconut and sour flavours [forgot the name cos we couldn't wait to dig into it]

Dessert 2- Chocolate based dessert.. 
[forgot name cos we were too busy having fun trying it out]

 This menu is on here at On the Rocks [the restaurant that is open for dinner only]. Do give it a try, am sure you will enjoy it!! 

Psst- pardon the photograph quality, went from work and so had to make do with Mobile camera..

Address:
Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park,
TTK Road,
Austin Nagar, Alwarpet,
Chennai
Ph- 044 2499 4101

Disclaimer: The reviews posted on this blog are based on my personal experience. Also remember these were just my views!! Remember, no two palates are the same. Bon Appétit :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sprinkle some flavours so I'll know you were here!

badge