Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Am a contradiction of sorts. i love going out and having a good time with friends, and i can also stay home chill out over a book or a movie.. Am very passionate about writing, so give me a topic and watch me float away into wonderland... I Am crazy about music,books,friends and my doggie... :)

Monday, July 4, 2016

Besan Ka Chilla [Cheela]

During my recent trip to Mumbai, friend made Chilla/Cheela one day for breakfast/dinner and it was yumm. I have made it earlier but with just onions or tomatoes, but this friend added plenty of spinach to it. Ever since I got back to Chennai, I had been wanting to make them at home, but just dint get around to it, till last evening.  When I told gramma I was going to make Chilla, she gaped. I then told her this was a sort of Dosa made with Gram flour.. A friend said it is also called Vegetarian Omelette [well I couldn't get myself to call it that cos I love eggs and the word makes me miss eggs].. 
Since I already had a packet of Besan [Gram flour] and some veggies, I was all set. Here is how I whipped it up.. 
Ingredients [makes 4-6 chillas]
  • 1 cup gram flour
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tomato, finely chopped
  • 1 small bunch of spinach- roughly chopped up 
  • ½ tsp jeera
  • ¼ tsp Red chilli powder
  • ¼ tsp Dhania powder
  • ¼ tsp Jeera powder
  • a pinch of Chaat masala
  • 3 tbsp curd
  • water according to batter consistency
  • salt as per taste
  • oil as required to cook the Chilla
Options: You can add ajwain, kasuri methi and just about anything else you like.. it doesnt matter as long as you love the flavours :)
Making the Chilla: 
  1. In a bowl add all the dry ingredients, mixing them well.
  2. Now add the curd and then add water according to the consistency [ the batter should like like a dosa batter, pourable but not too watery]
  3. Let it sit for about 10-15mins so all the ingredients meet, mix and get to know each other better..
  4. Heat a flat [dosa] pan on a low flame. add oil and pour two ladles of batter. Let it cook on both sides, it takes wee bit longer than a regular dosa. 
  5. Drizzle some oil around the batter once you have spread it out.
  6. Once it gets golden or brownish, it is cooked and ready to be eaten. have it hot with curd or pickle or just as it is.. :)
I made two versions last evening. One with onions and other without[for gramma].. Ate it plain and loved it..I kept thinking about the random conversations with the friend while making the dosas....Infact I messaged her right after making them, sent a pic as well.. It is amazing how food is more than just ingredients and process, it has memories, experiences attached to it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sprinkle some flavours so I'll know you were here!

badge