Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Am a contradiction of sorts. i love going out and having a good time with friends, and i can also stay home chill out over a book or a movie.. Am very passionate about writing, so give me a topic and watch me float away into wonderland... I Am crazy about music,books,friends and my doggie... :)

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Food tales.. Jevvarisi kanji [Sago porridge]



We were living in Tirunelveli then and my gramma & great gramma [dad’s mom and gramma] were also with us.. It was Dec 1989 when Mom came to Chennai for her last trimester and I was in Tirunvelveli with Dad and grammas.. It was probably the 2nd time I was away from Mom, but this time I dint really miss her much. 


It was during this time that I was introduced to jevvarisi Kanji. My gramma used to make this for my great gramma and I would taste a bit everyday, till one day I told her I shall have the same for breakfast. From thereon, I was hooked. I loved the semi transparent wobbly little round thing and the sweetness of the porridge. Gramma would add very little milk to this. 

Later on, discovered you can make payasam with Jevvarisi [only diff you add lots of milk]. Even now there are days when I suddenly get a craving for this and go whip up a bowl of it and indulge. 

Few other things that I love about jevvarisi is that it is very light on the tummy and such a feel good factor. 

I enjoy making Kichidi, vadaam and Vadai as well, though the vada does seem too oily for my liking. 

1 comment:

Sprinkle some flavours so I'll know you were here!

badge